Monday, February 2, 2009

The Start Of Something Delicious

Growing up, my family had quite a large impact on my life: Who I am, what I want to do, who I wish to become. Maybe most importantly, however, what I want to eat. No one holds a candle to my Mom's soups (seriously, she should go into catering; Or just move here and feed me). And my Grandma's macaroni - Oh man!... So, it makes total sense to me that I would enjoy cooking.

But baking? And more on that, Pies? I mean, my Grandma made the occasional cherry pie and her meringue was pretty tasty, but it's not like pie was something I grew up with, ingrained in my blood, cinnamon and sugar coarsing through my veins.

Where did this deep love come from? Was it the raspberry bush in our backyard? or, maybe, the endless hours of blueberry picking my sister and I were forced into to learn a bit about making and saving money? Thinking of the latter, I think I'll cut blueberries from my list. But, ya know? I have a feeling those stupid berries taught me something about quality fresh fruit. Still, an ipod would have been nice in 1995.

I don't know how it happened, but it happened. I wish my family was closer now, so they could eat some of the delicious pies I make, and know that my inspiration, probably, somehow or another, came from them.

I decided to start this blog as a weekly tribute to my pies. To keep not only my family, but my friends and customers as well, up to date on what's going on here at Straight from the Pie Hole. It's a busy time of year, for sure, but you can always spare a minute for a slice.

A list of current pies (I use fresh ingredients, so you'll find seasonal delights only):

Apple
Apple Cranberry
Banana Cream
Caramel Apple
Coconut Cream
Cookies and Cream
Dark Chocolate Cream
French Apple
French Mocha
Lemon Chess
Mississippi Mud
Oatmeal Pecan
Pear w/ Caramel Sauce
Peanut Butter
Pineapple Cream Cheese
Pumpkin
Raisin
Shoo-fly
Vanilla Cream

All pies can be made with either regular, chocolate cookie, vanilla cookie, or graham cracker crusts. All sell for $20.

Please check back next week to see what crazy antics we're cooking up!
And to my family: Thanks. I love you. Now, buy yourself a pie!

3 comments:

  1. You've gone and put together a blog. Who do you think you are? Jack Bauer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about your dads crabcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the facebook app that I can become a fan of?

    ReplyDelete