Monday, September 20, 2010

Well, Jimminy Cricket!

Ok, so it wasn't actually Jimminy. I imagine a few of you might be mad at me if it was. And, really, if we're being completely honest, it wasn't even a cricket. It was a grasshopper. And a darn good one if you ask me.

One of my final pies of the challenge went over even better than I had imagined. I mean, I guess I should have expected it: it was made with ice cream...That makes everything awesome.

Yeah, the grasshopper pie was pretty good. Graham cracker crust and vanilla ice cream are made for each other. The sweet creaminess with the crunchy saltiness...Then marshmallow with creme de menthe and creme de cacao. I swear the man at the liquor store must think I'm crazy. I never go just to get vodka, or something normal.

Sumo was actually a huge help for this pie. I know what you're thinking, "Riiiiight......." No really, there is a little shop near where I grew up. It's called Fairview. It's essentially a farmer's market. They sell everything from flowers to bird seed to, you guessed it, chopped up pieces of Andes mints. Well, the last time we were at my parent's house we stopped at Fairview and he just HAD to have these mints. Lucky me, he forgot to eat them.

They were the perfect topper for the pie. But next time, I think I'll use them as their own layer in between the ice cream and the marshmallow/liqueur layer. And still sprinkle some on top...

With that change, I think this pie would practically be jumping off the plate.

Pun intended.

1 comment:

  1. It jumped right into my stomach...at least a quarter of the pie did. Delish.

    ReplyDelete