Sunday, August 8, 2010

Little Jack Horner, Sat in the Corner


I love Farmer's Markets.

The colors of the fruit, the free samples, the loaf of raspberry bread I took home(and devoured half of)... They're a great thing, and the best place to get good quality, fresh fruit.

I woke up around 8 and wanted to get to the market early enough that 1) it wouldn't be too hot and 2) it wouldn't be too crowded. So, with my canvas shopping bags in toe, I hopped in the Accord and headed out. Moments later I arrived to the glory of a Saturday morning replete with baked goods, produce, and farm fresh meats (mmm...grass fed...).

As I was on a mission, I headed straight to the produce stands. Plums...Where are the plums? Oh there they are. And three different kinds to sample?!?!?! How fantastic! I can sample my pie fruit before buying!

20 plums later and I'm headed to the liquor store.

I know you're thinking, "How do 20 plums = a trip to the liquor store?".

See, I'm from PA where you get your wine and your vodka in the same place. And sometimes I like to mix some of the juice in with the fruit. Well, I went to the wrong place. Luckily, the nice man behind the counter informed that that I would need to visit the grocery store to find what I needed. Oops. Virginia...

I got home with my plums and my port wine and I went to town. Plums, cored and sliced, cooked with port wine, sugar, and some lemon juice. And for the finale: topped with an almond crumb. Wow! How many ways can you say 'delicious?' ...scrumptious, titillating, yummy...

Ok, ok... I digress.

In the end, I've learned that we don't utilize the plum quite as much as we should. In fact, I think this was my first experience with a plum. But as good as this tasted, I know there will be many more.

And no, I did not stick in my thumb.

2 comments: