Tuesday, August 3, 2010

If you like Pina Colada...

The Sand. The Sun. The surf.

Ocean City, New Jersey: It reminds me of my childhood. Every summer, until I was probably 12, we would head to the "shore." We loved it! All of us kids (McPherrins, Albertis, Vasolis) would run to the sand every morning to build castles or search for shells. And of course there would be swimming...the waves crashing their cold, murky water, sending us running towards our towels squealing with laughter.

As an adult, I look at the beach from a different perspective. I still enjoy a good swim in the ocean, but I'd rather be drinking a pina colada.

So, this summer, when Casie (and Matt) asked Sumo and I to come to the OCNJ with her family, I knew my pie challenge would come in handy.




Pina Colada? You betcha(wink)! So the Blueberry Pina Colada Pie was born. Er, made. And eaten.

It was awesome. Really! I mean, it was your regular blueberry pie, only with bits of pineapple and some pina colada mix thrown in. Then the topping! Oh the topping!!! It was a browned-to-perfection, coconut crumb. I mean, can pie get more beachy than that? Or more heavenly? I'm not sure it can.

There's now no need for frozen drinks. Yeah, they might cool you off on a hot summer's day while you're hanging poolside, but you could just put this pie in the fridge. Why bother with the tiny umbrella?

If we had that pie back when I was a kid, I might have been passed out for the entire trip.

Wait? Did I forget to mention the rum? Yeah, I think the parents would have loved it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment