Friday, July 9, 2010

That All Pies Are Created Equal

So...Week 4...weak pie. I mean, ok, it was alright. I just wasn't super excited about it. It didn't taste bad, It was just, slightly boring.



As I was trying to figure out which pie to make this week, I thought about our weekend plans. It was the 4th of July weekend, and we had Adam and Val's annual party to attend. I was looking over my challenge list...Lemon Meringue, Jack Daniel's Pecan, Plum and Port...None of them were really hitting me. Until I saw it. Blueberries...well they're blue and that's in our flag. Maple...makes me think of Canada, er - I mean, Vermont. Cornmeal... well, southern foods? So, I figured it would be perfect for the party: A Blueberry Maple Pie with a Cornmeal Crust. I mean, if you think of it, it has that 'Americana' ring to it.

Really, it's practically just a regular blueberry pie, but instead of sweetening it with sugar, you use maple syrup. After baking, I really didn't taste the syrup in there. And I used REAL maple syrup. Not that Aunt Jemima stuff they sell cheap to put on pancakes. The crust was different I guess. Crunchier, grittier. Not bad, just different.

All in all it was a fine pie, it just didn't blow my socks off, like I was expecting it to from it's title.

Though, I do have a feeling that Hancock, Jefferson, Franklin and friends might have enjoyed the "Best of America" ingredients involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment