Wednesday, June 16, 2010

As American as...

Week 2 = check.
Cherry Pie = check.

This time = GGGGGGOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL!


I know, I know, I'm supposed to be making either pies I've never done before or pies that are really out there. So, 'how has a pie maker never made a cherry pie before?' To answer you, I have made a cherry pie before. The difference, this time, is that I used sour cherries, instead of sweet ones. (Sorry, my Michigan friends.)

I've made a few pies with sweet cherries in the past: there was Sweet Cherry Pie with a Coconut Almond Crumb topping and I vaguely remember making a Blueberry Sweet Cherry Pie. Both were delicious, however none of them lived up to the cherry pies I remember my Grandmother making. The taste just wasn't there. They weren't at all sour.

Sweet cherry pies are easy-peasy. The cherries are bigger, so you don't need to seed as many. But, those teeny tiny sour cherries... They are bitter little buggers. I seeded over 225 of them; All for one pie! Also, on their own -not so tasty. But, man, add in some sugar and some lemon... As Mr. Campbell would say, it's mmm...mmm...good.

So I think this is one pie I will keep in my repertoire. And ya know what, I think my Grandma would be proud.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta tell ya bloggers.... THAT was an AWESOME pie!!! Best cherry pie I have ever wrapped my lips around. Chrissy ROCKS the PIE PAN!!!!!!

    Her BIGGEST FAN....

    Luna Marie (smile)

    ReplyDelete